Healing QA: Natural Treatments For Diabetes?
10/04/2012 | 10:31 AM
Are there any natural treatments for diabetes?
Ayurveda views diabetes as a dysfunction of the urinary system, and cites twenty different types of diabetes as determined by the quality of the patient’s urine. Each of the three doshas of Kapha, Pitta, and Vata are associated with their own respective portions of these twenty types of disease, and the severity and prognosis of the patient’s affliction is related to whichever of the three doshas defines the basic nature of their imbalance. The different types of diabetes are similar in their treatment but distinguished in their severity and their root cause in the body.
Given its serious and often incurable nature, diabetes is a disease best treated and managed under the guidance of a trained Ayurvedic practitioner. Those who have continuous and productive contact with such a person can utilize the proper tools to at least control and sometimes resolve the disease, but utilizing the tools that follow without proper guidance can at best reduce the severity of related symptoms.To learn more about Ayurvedic practitioners, you can go to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
With that said, and regardless of the resources available, it is Ayurveda’s goal to either use elimination therapies like purgation or nourishing therapies like with medicated oils and ghees—depending on the relative strength or weakness of the patient being treated. Ayurveda also manages this disease through different treatments, proper diet, herbal therapy, and exercise. Some basic therapies that can be used include:
- Regulate pancreatic function in earlier stages of diabetes with 3 grams of turmeric to every 0.1 ounce of aloe vera gel. Take this concoction daily.
- Take baths with dry ginger, cardamom, and sandalwood infused with the bathwater.
- Eat bitter gourd or take bitter gourd juice on a daily basis.
- Eliminate sweet and sugary foods from the diet including sugar, wheat, rice, potatoes, and particularly sweet fruits.
- Take a decoction of roasted barley and triphala before going to bed. The barley needs to first be soaked in the triphala.
- Engage in vigorous but not excessive exercise on a daily basis, unless the body is lean and weak.
Check Out Our Related Content:
Healing Q&A Library
VIDEO: Diabetes and Sugar Intake
A Model Guru Healing Recipe Guide
Find Out What Dosha You Are. Take our Dosha Quiz!
The Incurables: healing stories that defy all odds!