Healing QA: What Are The Best Foods To Eat & Avoid For My Dosha?
07/23/2012 | 12:46 PM
Can you give the basic food plans for the different doshas? What is the most important foods to eat? And what foods should be eliminated?
Each doshic imbalance benefits from a basic action to be taken as defined by one’s food intake. Vata imbalances benefit from eating food that creates less airiness and dryness and instead builds moisture. Pitta imbalances benefit from eating food that creates less heat in the body and instead cools it off. Kapha imbalances benefit from eating food that creates less moisture in the body and instead burns the moisture off.
- Foods to favor in response to excessive Vata energy: ghee, berries, apricots, fresh figs, peaches, plums, carrots, beets, zucchini, sweet potatoes, asparagus, unbleached whole wheat, white basmati rice, mung beans, olive oil, and sesame oil.
- Foods to avoid in response to excessive Vata energy: apples, pears, watermelon, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, celery, eggplant, corn, dry oats, barley, most legumes, and cold foods in general.
- Foods to favor in response to excessive Pitta energy: ghee, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, barley, cooked oats, white basmati rice, olive oil, and coconut oil.
- Foods to avoid in response to excessive Pitta energy: grapefruit, bananas, cherries, pineapple, tomatoes, garlic, carrots, spinach, brown rice, corn, nuts, lentils, corn oil, almond oil, spicy foods, sour foods like yogurt and pickles, salt, and meat.
- Foods to favor in response to excessive Kapha energy: prunes, raisins, cherries, pomegranates, dry figs, radishes, onions, sprouts, Brussels sprouts, vegetable soup, barley, millet, ghee, mustard oil.
- Foods to avoid in response to excessive Kapha energy: bananas, melons, papayas, avocados, plums, sweet potatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, wheat, rice, nuts, seeds, sweets and candies, allergy-causing foods, and cold foods.
Check Out Our Related Content:
Healing Q&A Library
Healing QA: What Are Doshas?
Healing QA: Are There Really Cures For Everything?
Find Out What Dosha You Are. Take our Dosha Quiz!
The Incurables: healing stories that defy all odds!