Green Living QA: Is Using Plastic In The Microwave Dangerous?
01/24/2012 | 11:40 AM
Is using plastic in the microwave really dangerous? And what about when plastic containers say they are microwave safe?
When food is wrapped in plastic or placed in a plastic container and microwaved, the chemicals in the plastic may leak into your food. Fatty foods like meats and cheeses cause a chemical called diethylhexyl adipate to be released. According to the Harvard Medical School the FDA requires that manufacturers test plastic containers and that those tests meet FDA standards and specifications. Only containers that pass this test can display a microwave-safe icon, or the words "microwave safe."
- Don't microwave using water bottles, or plastic tubs for margarine, yogurt, whipped topping, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and mustard...they are not microwave-safe.
- Don't microwave in plastic grocery bags.
- Don't let plastic wrap touch food during microwaving because it may melt. Use wax paper or parchment paper instead.
- Better yet, transfer food to glass or ceramic containers labeled microwave-safe.
Check Out Our Related Content:
Green Living QA: Is There An All Natural Cleaner For My Shower?
Green Living Q&A Library
What's the Alternative?: non-traditional tips for a healthy mind and body.