Why pay up to $30.00 for a professional manicure when you can do it yourself for free? Just make sure you have the following items handy: Emery board, cuticle remover, a bowl of warm water, acetone-free polish remover, nail brush, orange stick, cotton balls, base coat or nail hardener and nail polish.
- Remove old polish with a cotton ball and nail polish remover.
- Use an emery board to shape nails, holding it on a slant. Apply long strokes in one direction toward the center of the nail.
- Use your thumb to massage cuticle cream into the rough skin on the sides and base of your nails.
- Soak fingers in warm water for a few minutes to soften the cuticle.
- Clean your nails thoroughly using a nailbrush.
- Wrap the end of the orange stick in cotton and apply cuticle remover to the blunt end. Use it to loosen dead skin from around the nails.
- Wipe nails and make sure they are clean and dry.
- Apply a clear base coat to the entire surface of each nail. If you have problem nails use nail hardener instead.
- Apply polish using 3 strokes from the center base to the tip. Wait 10 minutes and apply a second coat.
- Allow to dry for at least 30 minutes.