Apricot Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (available at health food and gourmet grocery stores)
- 1 teaspoon umeboshi paste (made from plums, available in Asian and health food grocery stores)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Place all ingredients in a heavy, nonreactive saucepan. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, until sauce is slightly thickened and flavors have melded.
Blend until smooth, if desired. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. If too thick, stir in a little water or vegetable broth.
Cool to room temperature.
Sauce will keep covered in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.