Vegetable Fried Rice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fried tofu
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 4 cups cold day-old steamed brown long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 green onions, sliced diagonally
Heat a large wok over high heat. Add the oil. When the first wisp of white smoke comes off of the wok, add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the eggs and lightly scramble until just set, about 1 minute. Add the tofu, edamame, and corn and stir-fry until warm, about 1 minute. Fold in the rice and press the rice to separate the grains.
Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper. Continue to fold for about 1 minute. Don't be afraid to scrape the rice that sticks to the bottom of the wok. Add the salt. Cook until rice absorbs the sauces and is slightly crisp on the edges. Stir in half of the green onions.
Transfer the rice to bowls and garnish with the remaining green onions. Sprinkle with a pinch of white pepper and serve.