Wild Rice & Wheatberry Salad with Avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 cup cooked soft winter wheatberries
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wahini or brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium fennel bulb (about 3/4 pound), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice with the basil, lemon juice, scallions and the olive oil; season the dressing with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the grains, chickpeas, avocados, fennel and tomatoes with the vinaigrette; season with salt and pepper.
Mound the salad onto plates and serve.