Crying Tiger Shrimp Salad
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground white pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked large peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, minced
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili paste in soybean oil
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
- Freshly ground white pepper
To marinate the shrimp: Pound the cilantro, garlic, and white pepper in a mortar until well blended. Mash in the fish sauce, palm sugar, and soy sauce.
Transfer the marinade to a bowl; add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
To prepare the dressing: Heat the oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves and sauté until the garlic is pale golden, about 2 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the onion, mint, fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, and chili paste. Chill for 5 to 10 minutes.
To grill the shrimp: Prepare the barbecue or grill pan for medium-high heat. Lightly dab any excess marinade from the shrimp, then grill the shrimp until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
To serve the salad: Toss the salad greens with half of the juices from the dressing in a large serving bowl to coat. Place the grilled shrimp and cucumber on top of the salad. Top with the vegetables from the dressing. Garnish with red onions, mint, and green onions. Drizzle remaining dressing on top of the salad. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.