Hijiki Crunch Salad
- 1/2 cup hijiki (a sea vegetable, available in health food and Asian grocery stores)
- For dressing:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons umeboshi vinegar (available in health food, gourmet and Asian grocery stores, or online)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- For salad:
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup blanched snap peas, cut into 1/2-inch
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally, more for garnish, if desired
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
Place hijiki in a bowl and add enough cold water to cover. Let
soak 30 minutes, then drain well.
Whisk together salad dressing ingredients; set aside.
Combine prepared vegetables and drained hijiki in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss to thoroughly combine.
Serve on chilled salad plates. Garnish with sliced scallions if desired.