Garden Farro Risotto
- 1 cup dried farro or spelt
- 1 cup chopped asparagus, 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped baby squash, 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup yellow corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups hot Vegetable Stock or water
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
Soak farro in cold water for about 20 minutes, drain and rinse well. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add farro and simmer for 20 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place prepared vegetables on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss vegetables to coat. Roast for 30 minutes until vegetables are al dente. Remove and set aside.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Add farro and toast until fragrant; about 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine and stir until it has evaporated.
Add hot vegetable stock, 1 cup at a time, and stir frequently until liquid has just about been absorbed. Repeat with remaining broth; 1 cup at a time.
Remove from saucepan and gently fold in roasted vegetables and herbs. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.