Triple Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups barley flour
- 1 1/3 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup date puree
- 3 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 3 tablespoons chocolate soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups vegetarian semisweet chocolate chips (available at health food stores and online)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted (optional), coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a large, heavy baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the barley flour, oat flour, rice flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl to blend.
In a separate bowl, whisk the maple syrup, oil, date puree, brown rice syrup, soy milk and vanilla to blend. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
For each cookie, drop about 2 tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Flatten the cookies slightly. Bake for 14 to 18 minutes, or until the cookies puff and crack.
Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or cool completely.