Power Pizza with Chocolate Ricotta
- For pizza crust:
- 3 tablespoons finely ground golden flax seed
- 3/4 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup maca powder (available in natural foods stores and online)
- 1/3 cup lactose-free vanilla whey protein powder (available in natural foods stores and online)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (available in natural foods stores and online)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Stevia Plus powder
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut toddy with agave (vinegar) from Erewhon
- 2 large egg whites at room temperature
- vegetable shortening
- grape seed oil
- For chocolate ricotta topping:
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat ricotta
- 1/3 cup light agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 dropper milk chocolate liquid stevia
- 1 dropper Vanilla Crème liquid stevia
- 1/3 cup unsweetened carob chips
To prepare crust, grind flax in a coffee grinder and blend for a few seconds. Set aside.
In bowl of stand-up mixer, combine flours, whey, gum and salt.
In separate small bowl, combine hot water, yeast and stevia. Let stand until it fizzes.
In another separate small bowl, combine warm water, olive oil and coconut toddy. Whisk together and add to flour mix. Blend well and add egg whites. Add yeast mixture and mix on high speed for 3 minutes. Scrape down sides. Beat on high 1 more minute.
Grease pizza pan with vegetable shortening and sprinkle ground flax to cover the pan. Oil hands with grape seed oil and scoop out dough, which will be very sticky. Form pizza dough into a ball, and place on top of greased pan.
Pour a little grape seed oil on pizza dough. Then, wearing lightly oiled plastic gloves, press out dough into desired shape and thickness. Thin is best with a gluten-free crust. Shape the edges to hold pizza toppings. Let dough rise for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
To prepare topping, blend first five ingredients in a mixing bowl, don’t overmix. Fold in chips.
Spoon ricotta mixture in even dollops onto risen pizza dough, and spread evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove pizza from pan and cool on wire rack. This will prevent the gluten-free dough from becoming soggy.