- 3/4 cup brown rice vinegar (available at health food or Asian grocery stores)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (available at health food stores)
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 (8-ounce) packages soy tempeh, halved horizontally
Whisk together vinegar, syrup, tamari, coriander seeds, caraway seeds, mustard seeds and pepper in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil.
Arrange tempeh in a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Pour marinade over tempeh. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 day and up to 2 days, turning the tempeh occasionally.
Preheat the broiler. Line a large, heavy baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange tempeh on baking sheet. Reserve marinade. Broil tempeh until it is golden brown on top, about 5 minutes. Turn tempeh over and brush the top with reserved marinade. Broil for 5 minutes, or until golden on top.