Bruschetta with Onion and Fennel Jam
- For bruschetta:
- 1 baguette, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- extra virgin olive oil
- For onion and fennel jam:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon umeboshi paste (plum paste, available in Asian grocery stores and online)
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine garlic and 2 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl; set aside. Arrange baguette slices on a baking sheet and generously brush with oil. Turn slices over and repeat. Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool and set aside.
Heat oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onion and fennel. Cook for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have cooked down. Stir in remaining ingredients, except parsley, and continue cooking until all liquid has evaporated.
Spoon onion and fennel jam onto bruschetta and serve garnished with finely chopped parsley.