Homemade Massaman Curry Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large dried red chiles, soaked until soft and finely chopped
- 3 red Thai chiles
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
Heat a small pan or wok. Add cumin seeds, cardamom, anise, cinnamon stick, cloves and peppercorns. Toast until fragrant.
Put spices and salt in a stone mortar or spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.
Add the chilies and pound to a smooth paste.
Add the lemongrass and ginger, and pound some more.
Add the shallots and garlic and pound again until smooth.