Athena Barley with Kalamata Olives and Tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound pearl barley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (approximately 3 lemons)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
- 3/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
Combine the water, barley, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt in a large saucepan.
Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the barley is tender.
Transfer the barley to a large bowl. Refrigerate until the barley is cold, if desired.
Whisk the lemon juice, oil, and oregano in a bowl to blend.
Pour the vinaigrette over the barley and toss to coat. Add the tomatoes, olives, red onion, parsley, green onions, and dill. Toss again to combine.
Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper and serve.