Lovely Lentil Loaf
- For lentil loaf:
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 cups cooked red lentils
- 3/4 cup cooked green split peas
- 1/4 cup cooked black lentils
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons red miso (soy paste; available in health food and Asian grocery stores)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- For sauce:
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons umeboshi vinegar (plum vinegar; available in health food and Asian grocery stores and online)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark agave nectar (available in specialty and Mexican grocery stores and online)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drizzle a tablespoon of canola oil on a baking pan and set aside.
Heat remaining two tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, celery and red pepper, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add carrots, garlic and thyme and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in all remaining ingredients until well combined. Shape into a loaf and place on baking pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until heated through.
Meanwhile heat all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Serve lentil loaf hot with warm tomato sauce.