Massaman Curry with Mushrooms and Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons Massaman Curry Paste
- 1 pound brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup onion, cut into large dice
- 1 large yellow potato, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 can (14-ounce) coconut milk or coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste (available in Asian grocery stores or online)
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown rice syrup (available at health food stores or online)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
Heat oil in a large pan or wok over high heat. Stir-fry curry paste until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and vegetable stock, cook and stir for 1 minute.
Add onion, potatoes, cashews and coconut milk. Stir well to mix and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender.
Meanwhile, dissolve tamarind paste in a 1/3 cup water. Stir in brown rice syrup and tamari, then add to curry. Mix well and boil 1 minute more.