- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 5 black cardamom pods
- 7 whole black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cups uncooked brown basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen green peas, not thawed
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
Heat the oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, peppercorns, and cloves. Cook until the spices simmer and begin to pop and smell fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add the rice and sauté until slightly nutty, about 2 minutes. Stir in the peas. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the water and 3/4 teaspoon of salt to the rice mixture. Bring to a simmer.
Cover and simmer gently until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Season to taste with more salt. Fluff the rice with a spoon or fork.
Transfer the rice to a bowl and serve.