Pumpkin Pie a la Kelly
- For pie crust:
- 1 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (available at natural foods stores and online)
- 1 teaspoon Stevia Plus powder (available at natural foods stores and online)
- 3/4 cup organic vegetable shortening
- 2 Omega-3 organic eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon coconut toddy (vinegar) w/ agave (at Erewhon)
- For pie filling:
- 2 large Omega-3 organic eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic unsweetened pumpkin
- 1/2 cup light agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons dark agave nectar
- 2 droppers Vanilla CrÃƒÂ¨me stevia liquid drops
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
To prepare crust, sift together first five ingredients. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter. Mixture will look like small crumbles. Set aside.
In small bowl, whisk together egg, water and toddy. Add this to flour mixture, mixing well. Use hands to form into a ball. Cut dough in half and reshape each into a ball. Reserve half of the dough for another use.
Place half of the dough on a sheet of wax paper. Cover dough with another sheet of wax paper, and carefully roll out crust until it is big enough to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Carefully—but quickly—remove top sheet of wax paper and flip crust into pie plate. If the crust breaks, just press it back together. Flute edges.
Beat remaining egg. With pastry brush, coat fluted edges of pie crust with egg and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
To prepare pie filling, use a stand-up mixer to beat eggs. Add rest of ingredients in the order in which they are listed; blend. Pour into prepared piecrust.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes or until center is set.