Hot and Sour Soup
- 5 dried wood ear mushrooms
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms (also known as black Chinese mushrooms)
- 8 dried tiger lily buds
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup bamboo shoot strips
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried red chile flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
Place the dried mushrooms and tiger lily buds in separate bowls. Add enough hot water to cover them. Place a small plate atop the mushrooms and lily buds to weigh them down in the water. Set aside until they soften, about 20 minutes.
Drain the soaking liquid. Thinly slice the wood ear mushrooms. Cut off the stems on the shiitake mushrooms then cut the mushrooms into a small dice. Coarsely chop the tiger lily buds.
Combine the mushrooms, tiger lily buds, stock, and bamboo shoots in a heavy large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in the vinegar, salt, soy sauce, chile flakes, white pepper, and sugar. Add the tofu, and simmer gently for 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl to blend. Add a little of the hot soup to the cornstarch mixture, then add all of the cornstarch mixture to the soup in the saucepan, stirring constantly. Bring the soup to a boil, stirring often.
Just before serving, turn off the heat. Gradually add the beaten egg, stirring gently. Mix in the sesame oil.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the green onions and serve.