Better with Cheddar Nachos with Pico De Gallo, Guacamole, and Tofu Sour Cream
- 1 cup canola oil, more if needed
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into wedges
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup melted cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup black beans, warmed
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup guacamole (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons tofu sour cream (recipe below)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Pico de Gallo
- Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 2 cups diced ripe tomatoes (approximately 2 large tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño chili (ribs and seeds removed), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Tofu Sour Cream:
- 1 (12.3-ounce) container vacuum-packed firm silken tofu (such as Mori-Nu)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon umeboshi vinegar (available in Asian markets and health food stores)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (available in the spice aisle of grocery stores, also called ground mustard.)
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 small tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 small white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (approximately 1 lemon)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 4 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
To make the nachos: Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat.
Working in batches, add the tortilla wedges and fry for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tortilla chips to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt.
Arrange the warm tortilla chips over a large platter. Spoon the warm melted cheese over the chips. Spoon the beans over the cheese. Spoon the pico de gallo over the beans. Spoon the guacamole atop the nachos. Drizzle the sour cream over the nachos. Sprinkle with the green onion and serve immediately.
To make the pico de gallo: Stir all the ingredients in a bowl to blend. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. Stir the pico de gallo before serving.
To make the tofu sour cream: Blend the tofu, vinegar, oil, mustard, and garlic in a food processor until smooth. Transfer the sour cream to a container. Stir in the dill.
Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 2 days
To make the guacamole: Toss the tomato, onion, cilantro, lemon juice, and 1 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes.
Mash the avocados in a large bowl. Stir in the tomato mixture. Season the guacamole to taste with more salt, if desired. Transfer the guacamole to a serving bowl and serve.
The guacamole will keep for 4 hours, covered tightly and refrigerated. Stir the guacamole again before serving.