Tom Kha Gai
- 4 cups Thai chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 15-ounce can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili paste in soybean oil
- 3 dried Thai chilies
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, for garnish
- cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Bring the stock to a simmer in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the cabbage, mushrooms, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, chili paste, and dried chilies.
Return the soup to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the chicken and gently simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Season to taste, adding more fish
sauce and lime juice if necessary.
Meanwhile, stack the lime leaves on top of each other then roll them up tightly. Using a very sharp knife, very thinly slice the roll of leaves crosswise into fine strips (this technique is called chiffonade).
Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish with the lime leaves and cilantro and serve.