Weight Loss Tips
Weight loss tips When trying to lose weight, everyone will have tips to help you and your progress. Following tips that are tried and proven is the most effective way to go, such as with the ones in this article.
12/17/2011 | 03:04 AM
Shed the Pounds with Top Tips
As much as 64% of the United States adult population is considered either overweight or obese. This percentage is defined by the Body Mass Index, which is simply a measure of your weight in proportion to your height. Being overweight is defined as a BMI of 25 or more. Obesity is defined by a BMI of 30 or more. Athletes sometimes fall into the overweight category even though they have very little body fat. This is because muscle weighs more than fat. For this reason, athletes are advised to use a different measure for obesity, such as body composition tests. However, in general your BMI is a good guideline for your ideal weight.
How weight loss works
The only way to loose weight is to burn fewer calories than you consume. Sounds simple, but losing weight can be a challenge for anyone! The core principles to any weight loss diet are cutting out saturated and trans fats, switching to unsaturated or monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, eating fruits and veggies, fish, lean meat, and lots of nuts and grains. Many people find it helpful to follow a diet plan so that you know the size and quantities to consume.
There is no ‘presto ‘ way to lose weight. It always takes time, patience and determination before anyone sees the results of their weight-loss program, regardless of which it is. Don’t get discouraged! If you eat too much one day, try not to beat yourself up, but simply keep to the program the next day. Whatever program you follow, here are some helpful tips.
Related Weight Loss Stories
Weight Loss Tips
- Drink a glass of water before you start the meal. Water fills the empty space in your stomach so that you feel fuller without actually having to eat as much.
- Have another glass of water while you are having the meal. If you’re trying to lose weight, lots of water will make your life that much easier. The average body is between 60 -70 percent water. So drinking lots will fill you up without adding extra calories.
- Try going to bed a little hungry: Try not to let yourself get too hungry during the day because the temptation will be to over-eat to compensate. You’ll probably find that when you finally consume a meal, you eat very quickly which is a sure fire way to pile on the pounds. But if you go to bed slightly hungry, your appetite resets itself overnight. You’ll find the pounds falling off.
- Use a nonstick frying pan for your cooking so that you do not have to add oil. The golden rule is to try and avoid as much oil as possible. A nonstick pan is an ideal solution.
- Include in your diet things that contain more water. Foods like tomatoes, watermelons and pickles contain 90 to 95 % water so that there is nothing that you have to lose by gorging on them. A great source of fluids, they fill you up without adding to the pounds.
- Eat fresh fruit instead of drinking fruit juice. When you eat fruit, you are taking in a lot of fiber, which is needed by the body, and fills an empty stomach. And juice is often sweetened but fresh fruits have natural sugars.
- Stay away from sweetened bottle drinks, especially sodas. In diet terms, sweetened drinks, are just flavored sugar water! They may taste great, but they have no nutritional value and are terrible for piling on the pounds. If you do want to drink sodas, stick to diet ones.
- Chew your food! Often it takes time for the appetite to shut off even when the body is full. You keep eating even though your body has had enough. One easy way to remedy this is to chewing all food about 8 to 12 times. It may be a bit boring, but it really works! Even try it with soft foods like ice creams or yoghurts.
- Focus on “satisfied” not “full”: Your body rarely needs those last few mouthfuls, but you may find you keep eating because it tastes so good! There is an old Chinese adage that says, “Eat until you are eight-tenths full.” Words of weight loss wisdom from an ancient culture.
Weight loss can be emotionally and physically challenging. But no matter what diet and exercise regime you decide to pursue, there are some helpful weight loss tips to cut down those hunger pangs and make sure you don’t over-eat. Remember even if you feel hungry and discouraged don’t give up! Slow and steady wins the race.