Yoga for Beginners: Hero Pose
10/29/2009 | 12:00 AM
This basic pose stretches your feet, ankles, knees, thighs, hips and lower back.
- Start with your hands and knees on the floor. Keep your knees hip-width apart so that your thighs are parallel.
- Point your feet directly backward, not turning in or out.
- Sit between your feet by first supporting yourself with your hands and then slowly lowering your hips to the floor.
- Sit straight. Rest your hands in your thighs and close your eyes.
- Lift up and extend your chest, relaxing your shoulders back and down away from your ears. Then lift or lower your chin until your head feels perfectly balanced.
- Breathe deeply and sit quietly for at least a minute.
Note: If you feel any pain or discomfort sitting on the floor, try placing a folded yoga mat or cushion between your feet.
Find Veria Living in your area.
VIDEOS FOR LIVING WELL